Antonia's kindergarten and the ketogenic diet
Antonia has loved attending kindergarten since her first birthday. We started the ketogenic diet when she was two and a half years old. For the diet to be successful, it is extremely important that everyone involved is sufficiently informed and that the circumstances allow it to be carried out at all.
All parties involved must be informed.
Since Antonia is usually at kindergarten from 8 am to 3 pm, breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snacks must be provided. Even before the dietary change, we discussed the option of warming up Antonia's lunch at the kindergarten with the educators. Additionally, we provided informational materials on the ketogenic diet and conducted a small information session. This was especially important at the beginning to educate all the children in the group in a child-friendly manner so that there wouldn't be accidental or secret food exchanges with Antonia that aren't suitable for the ketogenic diet. Children quickly get the feeling that something is being withheld from others and may secretly share their sweets, for example.
To enable quick information sharing and communication between the kindergarten and the parents, as well as to help unfamiliar staff, we created an information sheet. It outlined the importance of the ketogenic diet, how it is implemented, and provided essential phone numbers for quick inquiries.
From the beginning, every morning after washing and dressing, the backpack with the meals was packed together with Antonia. This way, she knows which meals are included and can help choose what she would like to eat that day.
Cooking tips with MCT fats
The most important information summarized briefly:
- Half a teaspoon of MCT oil is approximately 1 g/ml.
- One teaspoon of MCT oil is approximately 3 g/ml.
- One tablespoon of MCT oil is approximately 6 g/ml.
- MCT margarine is ideal for spreading on bread as well as for sautéing and baking.
- MCT oil can be used for salad preparation and for gentle frying at low temperatures (approximately 150°C).
- Do not keep MCT fats warm for too long, heat them too hot, or reheat them (in the microwave) as this could result in a bitter taste.