Finally fresh fruit again
Since we live very close to the mountains, we also have a very long winter in our region. So it is not unusual that the first really warm spring days begin only in mid-April. All the more, after this time, the first beautiful days also slowly bring the anticipation of fresh regional fruits and vegetables. Of course, the beginning of the strawberry season is the introductory highlight.
Elisabeth Loves Berries Also, in line with Mother's Day in May, I like to bake a ketogenic strawberry cake that everyone can enjoy. Since I use KetoEpi instead of cream and MCT margarine instead of butter, this works wonderfully.
Of course, it would be nice if I could pick the strawberries or berries fresh from the field or bush together with Elisabeth, but unfortunately, this is difficult for us to implement:
Since Elisabeth loves berries, she naturally feels like she's in a candy store there and would love to eat everything unlimited until the last berry is gone 😊, which is entirely understandable! - Unfortunately, she can't do that due to her ketogenic diet.
So by using MCT fats, it's possible for her to snack without me having to worry too much about her diet.
Cooking tips with MCT fats
The most important information summarized briefly:
- Half a teaspoon of MCT oil is approximately 1 g/ml.
- One teaspoon of MCT oil is approximately 3 g/ml.
- One tablespoon of MCT oil is approximately 6 g/ml.
- MCT margarine is ideal for spreading on bread as well as for sautéing and baking.
- MCT oil can be used for salad preparation and for gentle frying at low temperatures (approximately 150°C).
- Do not keep MCT fats warm for too long, heat them too hot, or reheat them (in the microwave) as this could result in a bitter taste.